Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Eclectic Baking

Art, literature, history, music, and even food are often labeled "eclectic." So why not baking, then?
Amidst a steamy shower after the gym, I pondered this very question only to return to the exact same answer: baking should most definitely qualify as able to be defined as "eclectic."

Now, I could lie and tell you that my new found ability to describe my version of baking was born out of sheer innovation and amazingly complex flavors. Sadly, that would seem to make me a worse liar than I already am. Then again, maybe I could be an eclectic liar as well?

Mind-blowing, I know. Since, at this point, your brain is most likely exploding from an OD of eclectic-ness, let me alleviate your aching brains with a refreshing and, dare i say, eclectic creation.

I present to you the most delicious grape cake (which is actually chocolate) the world has ever known.

This cake was definitely good right out of the oven and the next day without frosting; however, I added a nonfat, but super moist, glaze that soaked into the cake, ramping it up to status of YUM-O. In other words, if serving this cake to omni's, I would definitely frost/glaze to ensure enough moistness/richness in the cake. I also sprinkled the top with coconut, making it somewhat reminiscent of a lighter German Chocolate. OmniMom, Dad, and Brother gave the cake the thumbs up and were surprised, but happy, to hear that it was "better for you than an average cake." So maybe I didn't tell them it was vegan or laced with the 2 week old and slightly pruney grapes in the fridge. After all, a magician never reveals his/her secrets, right?

Adaptability: none needed
Original: Herbie
My version: herbie

The "Grapest" Cake Ever
Barely Adapted from Susan Voisin's FFV Blog

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/02/cant-be-beet-chocolate-cake.html#respond


pureed grapes
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar [i used regular, distilled]
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Oil or spray your cooking pan(s).

Put the pureed grapes into a 2-cup measure. Add enough apple sauce to reach the 2-cup line. Add the 2 tablespoons water, vanilla extract, and vinegar to the beets and mix well.

Mix the dry ingredients together; then add the beet mixture and stir until well-combined. Bake for 20 minutes for a 9x9 or 35-60 minutes for a 9X13 pan. (I used a 9X13 pan, and it took 35 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment